Sunday, August 3, 2008

How to recover Windows 2000?

My HP notebook, Compaq nc4400, already starting behave weird for sometime. Sometime I'm not able to shutdown properly, and it force me to shutdown the notebook with power off button.

Last Friday, it happened again, and this time when I tried to startup again, it is booting up with blue screen, unrecognised boot device, and suggested to perform chkdsk /f to check the corrupted file system.

Last time, I likes ERD Commander for the recovery, it is simple and straight forward, unfortunately this utilities only function for IDE disk and not able to recognised SATA disk.

I know another easiest method is to unplug the Harddisk from notebook and plug it into a SATA disk enclosure and perform the chkdsk from another PCs, I'm sure this will work. Unfortunately I only have IDE Harddisk enclosure.

I tried W2K and XP installation disk, unfortunately this CD does not allow me to perform chkdsk after booting up.

Tried to find other recovery utilities, which hopefully can make a bootable CDs to boot up my notebook, then perform the chkdsk/f to fix the problem. Found a few like Utimate Boot CD for Dos and another one UBCD for Windows.

Utimate Bood CD for Dos was good, it can boot up and perform scanning for hardware devices, unfortunately this utilities does not have chkdsk utilities. Tried UBCD for Windows, build of boot this is not straight forward, and it is not for Windows 2000.
I tried to build it with XP, unfortunately my XP SP2 disk is having problem, and I'm not able to proceed further.

Spending too long hours looking for recovery utilities, but not able to get a quick and straight forward one. At the end, I purposely buy a 2.5" 160GB Seagate SATA disk + enclosure, which cost me RM200, it is very cheap now. I pluged the HD into the enclosure and perform the chkdsk/f, the problem immediately fixed.

I have few doubts:-
Why the W2K or XP installation does not provide basic functionality such as chkdsk...
Why out there not much recovery utilities available.....

Sigh......

No comments: